Sunday, May 29, 2011

Shirret Rug ~ DONE!

It is so imperfect, and "homemade" that I LOVE it!!  The red corners and the multi-striped borders really make the whole thing for me.
And Phoebe gives it her seal of approval, too!  Would I make another one of these?  You bettcha, I would!  I learned so much in working this rug.  Techniques on counting rows, and joining squares.  Being a complete "granny square" addict...I can easily see the same possibilities of shirret-ing up squares and joining them together!!!

Don't get me wrong...I love the oval rugs, but I really love "making" the square ones.  The wool is so full of color.  I actually gravitate towards the wool skirts and jackets now every visit I make to the Goodwill or thrift stores!  I am on a mission for some orange.  I think I would like to begin another in the fall colors.

More Pics!



I thought y'all would like a little history surrounding these rugs.  They are actually a handed down tradition in my family, starting with my great great grandfather.

My Great Great Grandfather Percy Johnson
holding my aunt, next to him his mother,
Nellie Parent Johnson (b. 1869),
next to her my grand father
Raymond Johnson

My great great grandfather had turboculosis and was in a turboculosis sanitorium.  There they gave the patients crafts to occupy their time while they recuperated.  This is where he learned making rugs.  He handed the craft down to his wife, Jessie Green Johnson, who would be by Great Grandmother.


My father on left, next to him Jessie Green Johnson, 
my grand father Raymond Johnson
In the chair is my Great Great Great Grandfather Frank Green
who is holding me!

My mom tells me that Grandma Jessie had a rug partially finished when she died, which my grandma had saved.  It was in a box along with her hook and instructions, she gave it to my mom and told her, "this needs to be finished".  And the rest is history!  My mom, the master shirret rug maker, taught me!

I only hope I can hand it down to one of my nieces or nephews along with this story!

Family Traditions are so important!

21 comments:

paula said...

How beautiful . . . and the story makes it more beautiful.

Brenda said...

Very neat! I love it and the story and it is wonderful you have pictures to go along with the story!

Mindy said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Tracie said...

I love the rug. Very beautiful, however the story is just amazing. I love it!

Pammy Sue said...

It's beautiful and quite a treasure!

Melissa said...

Very cool! I love the family connections & obvious love.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

The rubs are fabulous, but the fact that they have such a rich family history makes them extra special! Those family pictures are just amazing!

Your rectangle rug is just gorgeous. I think the green border sets the whole thing off perfectly.

Now I simply MUST try this technique! I'm totally blaming you if I get addicted!

MGM

Alejandra Alejandro said...

I love those momories and old pics.
The most important thig is, you following their steps. There is a new generation who doesnt do anything like this.
Greetings.

Anne said...

Lovely work Dawn...These rugs look so VIBRANT!

Sara said...

Beautiful rug and an amazing story! Wishing you a happy week. :)

Juliadus said...

The rug is beautiful! I imagine how pleasant it is to put your feet on it!
And you dog is awesome! Every time I can't look at him without smile.

Hahnsmum. said...

Yr rugs are just lovely..All that work.. Well worth it in the end.. Well done..

Unknown said...

Oh, very nice! I love the colors and pattern they make.

I love the story about the family tradition. Wonderful!

Petunia Pill said...

Such an awesome family story. I have been very "into" my genealogy in recent months/years. Stories like these are so heartwarming! The older I get, the more I realize just how short life can be - and how, in a couple of generations, our essence and being can become lost. It is legacies such as the one you have shared here that allow us to live on! Good for you for carrying on the tradition! An absolutely BEAUTIFUL rug! I love the red corners and striped borders too! x&o, Annette

"Never Knew" said...

Dawn, the rug is fantastic, and so is your family story. I have never seen Shirret work before. Thank you for showing me this great craft - I love it and can't wait to try it one day. I have really enjoyed following your progress on it and I think it looks fabulous!
Caz from Never Knew :)

Louise McCrady said...

Wow Dawn !!! Gorgeous !! you are a marvel. Can I post it again on www.shirret.com in the "you" section? All your work is chic. xxx

janet said...

My great grandmother started one and I was volunteered to finish it. Yikes! I think you have inspired me.

alice said...

we call them "hump needle rugs" in Montana, we meet on saturday's from 10 - 2 and work on our rugs, my mother in law has been making them for over 20 years and can translate any cross stitch pattern into a rug, we call them her heirlooms. I was conned into making a rug and thought that would be it but i've made 8 rugs, a bench pad and now 9 chair pads so far.

Louise McCrady said...

I'd love to see all these rugs, Alice and Janet. Do you have pictures? Thanks Dawn for posting, I love your rugs! and you are so cool! I am the Shirret Lady's daughter Lexa McCrady and we have the site shirret dot com and the etsy store called Shirret.

Annie Wright said...

Sooooo~ how are they made?! I would love to make one! anniewrightsb@gmail.com

Lexi McCrady said...

Dawn's Shirret is so beautiful !!! I love it, colorful and lively!! Hi Dawn!! go to http://shirret.com to see more and the site shows how to stitch. There's a specially made hook needle for Shirret on shirret.com, and instructions. Dawn- I have a mostly finished new rug with a big pink cloud and I ripped it out and I have to finish it !! and I just want to make some little target ones too. xxx Lady McCrady